Please share your opinions and expertise since we need all the help we can get!

Monday, February 24, 2014

A healthy dose of radiation?

OK blog readers, no lurking now - I need help. It seems in my unobservant, post-baby sleep-deprived state, I failed to notice that our microwave was cracking. D mentioned it a few weeks ago as if I couldn't have missed it. And of course after he pointed out a few small cracks, the situation devolved into major disrepair. We are holding on a piece with two kinds of tape...(actually there was only a crack part of the way through, held together with one piece of tape last time I looked - and tonight when I went to start heating something, I noticed that it must have broken more when D used it and now it's pretty much totally broken off...)

Because really, it's a microwave - pretty hard to live without (I did it once while studying abroad - it involved reheating everything by frying it in oil). And so we continue to use it. But is it safe? I can't imagine that plastic is all that is standing between us and the microwave radiation. But somehow I don't want to be in the kitchen when it's on.

On a related note - it looks like the measurements for over-the-stove microwaves are pretty standard and we could just go to Home Depot, Lowes, etc. and buy a new one. Any insights into the installation? Is it doable by us? Keep in mind that "us" involves a little baby now, so we might not be quite as able as we used to be (or at least that at any given point, one of us might have to go deal with baby drama). And yes, I've googled for this - but what I'm looking for is first-hand experience. Have you done it? Was it hard?

Please help!

2 comments:

ten said...

http://www.brayandscarff.com/

R says he wouldn't use it - the broken plastic bit may have been holding the door tightly closed, and without it there could be leaking. He also says installing the new one depends on whether it plugs in to the wall behind it (a breeze to replace) or is hardwired (hire someone). Most people who sell will install.

Jonathan said...

I wouldn't worry much. As long as the gap between the door and the body of the microwave is less than or equal to the diameter of the holes in the window you watch your food through, those waves are unlikely to escape. Even if some did, they'd be much diminished, and would only get more so with distance, so just stand back if you want to be cautious. And microwave radiation is non-ionizing; it's not going to dose you.

That said, it sounds like an annoyance that's worth fixing for sure!