Please share your opinions and expertise since we need all the help we can get!

Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Finally Painted and Ready

With more than enough paint finally at hand (the original quart plus one gallon), it was time to get down to business. Fortunately, despite the prominent "NOT RETURNABLE" on the can, Home Depot took back the incorrect color and gave us our money back. Still though, whoever thought having Foxglove and Foxgloves should be fired...

As I mentioned last time, this was my first time getting to roll the paint. And not just roll. This was a one-woman job. I cut in and then rolled each wall, hoping to get the paint in place relatively promptly to avoid any weird blending lines. D was here for moral support and picture taking. The children were here for complaining that they wanted to help and then not wanting to actually help (they did paint a bit, but only in the space that eventually was going to be rolled over, to their dismay). You can see their handiwork along the side walls in the second picture:

And within a few hours, it was done! It involved some contortionist moves in the corner near the ductwork, but ultimately, a pretty rewarding and quick job.
But of course, it is never *that* quick. I still had to do the trim and the door, a boring necessity to make it all look white and new. Despite my annoyance at painting glossy trim, I did get a brief thrill when I realized that this may be the last odd custard color left in the house that was so prevalent when we bought it. Begone, yellow!
Next up, with D's help, was to replace this exposed CFL light. Part of me wanted style, the same out-of-place flair that we applied to our bedroom closet. The rest of me just wanted a covered lightbulb so that I didn't risk shattering it and spilling all kinds of hazardous materials all over our sheets and towels.
We agreed that I could finally get something similar to the crystal chandelier I had wanted in the dining room. Because why not? We found a cute one at Target and considered whether or not we could add the pull chain just as we had done in the bedroom. When it arrived though, I realized that even though it was a flush mount, it would occupy too much real estate near the ceiling where we wanted to put some tall shelves. No problem. We used this as an excuse to upgrade our guest bedroom light (that we inherited from the previous owners) and put that light in the closet. Here's the original ceiling light. Not bad, but pretty blah:
 Here's the new crystal one in its place:
And here's our closet! It's not quite as swanky as I wanted, but it's much safer now that there are no exposed bulbs and this swap let us put the crystal light where we can appreciate it more.
Last in the closet series, a post where I'll finally tell you what we ended up doing with this space, now that it was painted and ready for use.

No comments: