Please share your opinions and expertise since we need all the help we can get!

Monday, October 27, 2014

Drips begone

Our sink has gotten to be an increasingly wet place. The guy who replaced our disposal noticed that our faucet was a bit leaky. Apparently water was dripping down our hose, from where the nozzle attached to the hose. This probably has been happening for sometime. The bottom of our sink cabinet is very bumpy.
I tried replacing the washer that connects the hose to the nozzle, but the drip still was going. Home Depot did not have a suitable replacement hose and I did not want to order one online only to discover that actually something else was the problem. So I bought a new faucet, the Kohler Barossa. It is a Home Depot exclusive, which makes me a bit nervous, but again, I needed a faucet NOW.
First, I cleared everything from under the sink (again...).
Second, I took a picture of our old faucet before I ripped it out.
Then, the old one could come out. First, I had to disconnect the hoses and unspin the brass ring that holds the faucet in place (pictured below, with the two screws at 5:30 and 9 pm). Which wasn't too hard, but it was a VERY tight squeeze to get the ring past all of the hoses. I got so desperate I pulled out the dremel to cut it off, but it was too tight to fit the cut off disc behind the sink, so I resorted to lots of swearing to get it apart.
Yay!
With this off, it was fairly quick to attach the new faucet. Just drop it through the hole, attach the hoses, and snap some stuff together. 
Of course, a few days later, I discovered a new drip, where the dishwasher water supply hose attaches to the hot water faucet. Tightening the connection did not help. I imagine the best fix would be to replace the hose, but that would require getting access to the back of the dishwasher. Which is bolted into the surrounding cabinets. So I just slapped on some waterproof sealing tape and well, a week later it is still dry in there, so I am declaring "Mission Accomplished". 

1 comment:

Kyla @ HouseOfHipsters said...

IT is so frustrating when you fix something just to see something else is broken. Argh! But the faucet sure is purdy! Hooray for waterproof tape!