Please share your opinions and expertise since we need all the help we can get!

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Why you should buy the real thing

I love finding bargains, but I'm learning that some things aren't worth the savings. The kitchen is a good example. We make moderate use of the kitchen, making most of our meals during the work week from scratch. Our utensils and gadgets get quite of bit of use. For example, we now have three spatulas. Each one gets used about once a week. 

Our first new-to-us spatula came from Crate and Barrel, when we were using up some money from a gift card. I saw a nice looking black spatula that looked flexible and skinny: the Hammarplast AB spatula from Sweden (Design: Karl-Axel Andersson/Morgan Ferm). After about four years it was starting to wear down and lose its stiffness, so I went on Amazon and bought something that looked like it. The Norpro 97 My Favorite Spatula with Holes
Hammarplast on top, Norpro on bottom
Hammarplast on top. Much nicer construction.

It looked similar and was a lot cheeper ($5 versus $15) so I didn't think much of it. Three years later I took a closer look at the two and was surprised to see how poorly the (apparently Chinese made) Norpro was holding up, despite being half the age of the Swedish Hammarplast.

Norpro

Hammarplast

The Norpro 97 is flaking off in large pieces, while the Hammarplast is gracefully wearing down. The Norpro is also as floppy as a fish and cannot hold up anything heavier than an egg. Unfortunately I cannot find the Hammarplast online, except in a suspicious Amazon posting that seems too cheap. I assume they are out of production now. Probably because idiots like me were buying the cheap knockoff.

No comments: