Please share your opinions and expertise since we need all the help we can get!

Sunday, April 20, 2014

Most expensive soap ever

A year ago Christmas, I got a soap making kit. Not the dangerous kind that involves lye, a very simple kind called "melt and pour." Basically it is like buying a huge block of soap in bulk, nuking it in the microwave, adding fragrance, color, and bits of things to exfoliate, and then letting it resolidify. Turning soap into soap. Not rocket science. Not even real soap-making. (Bear with me, this is going to turn into a house issue soon.)

Because I am running out of fancy soaps, I thought last night would be a fun time to try this out, finally. I melted the soap base, ground up some oatmeal (to make it exfoliating), and added some essential oil that I got with the kit. I've worked with essential oil before - as a kid even. And I theoretically know the rules - it's strong, so you shouldn't let it touch your skin undiluted. You should add it with a dropper in small quantities. But there was so much soap that I decided to just pour a tiny bit in, rather than add it with a dropper.

The bottle doesn't have a spout. I dribbled a little oil down the side. I didn't think that something that goes into soap, lip balm, face products, hair products, etc. as a natural fragrance was that bad. I stirred everything together and poured the soap into the molds.

I cleaned and wiped down the counter. It dried.

I noticed I missed a spot.

I wiped again. It dried again.
I  RUINED THE SURFACE OF OUR COUNTER TO MAKE CHEAP SOAP!!!!

Not really sure what to do. I recall that when we bought the house they said our countertop is made of Silestone (can't seem to actually verify this - there are no brand markings stamped on or anything). Even reading the website makes me think that this essential oil should be fine and should never have caused this much damage. Silestone is pretty resistant to everything and has very few warnings. Here's one I can find: "Do not use paint strippers, caustic soda, or products with a ph of more than 10." I obviously can't test the ph of the product but apparently I should have categorized it up there with paint thinners. Checking the internet for similar problems yielded nothing. Everything that comes up when searching for essential oils and counters and sheen (or something similar) covers making a natural cleaner with water and essential oil.

We're going to try this next, but I have major doubts that it will have any effect (and even if it does, won't it be temporary?):

Loss of sheen on the surface of the Silestone countertop may be due to the use of products (waxes, sprays, sealants, etc.) to try to bring out its lustre, although these products lose their effect over time. This lack of sheen therefore has nothing to do with the original mechanical sheen of the product when it leaves the factory. To recover this non-natural sheen, a multi-purpose furniture spray that is suitable for the countertop can be used.

So yeah, not a high point of my weekend. And honestly I'm a little afraid to use the soap, knowing how potent the fragrance is. I'm scared I put in a little too much since I was so imprecise with adding it. And after seeing what it did to the countertop, well....

Most expensive soap ever. Sigh...

No comments: