Please share your opinions and expertise since we need all the help we can get!

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Little Details

No additional mural progress - real life, vacations, work, etc temporarily took over. But I should be back to that soon. In the meantime, sharing a few other small touches we've added to the room over the last month or so.

We painted the insides of the shelf nooks blue. It will be a lot darker when we put the top shelf back on - for now it almost looks like a different color on the top and bottom shelf (it's the same paint - just the sun is hitting the top shelf), which now makes me wish I had thought to do that myself. My plan is to paint little fishes in there.
We painted the attic cubby doors with magnetic primer and chalk board paint:
We rolled two coats of a very well shaken and stirred Rustoleum Magnetic Primer (seriously - the instructions even say to have it professionally shaken and then use immediately, since it takes very rigorous stirring and shaking to get the metal pieces distributed through the paint) followed by three thin coats of their chalkboard paint. It's tintable to a lot of fun shades but we specifically wanted the classic chalkboard gray look.

A lot of reviews said that the magnetic primer wasn't very effective and, indeed, it doesn't seem like it will be able to hold up alphabet magnets or anything heavy. But it can hold up a sheet or two of paper with a pretty strong (but not necessarily "super strong") magnet:
I should mention that the "we" here really is just D. Both these paints are most definitely not low VOC and they reeked of stinky fumes. I kept away and we aired the room out for a while before I made my way back in.

And finally (for now) we ordered these adorable elephant switch and outlet plates off Etsy - further making me think that elephant curtains might start to be a little too much...
Furniture is on the way and more mural work is coming. Stay tuned!

No comments: