Please share your opinions and expertise since we need all the help we can get!

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Almost Perfect

We found the coolest dresser to put in our entry way--it was everything we were looking for! We'd been wanting to replace this piece for a long time:


We wanted something with legs high enough to allow the heat to escape, enough storage to let us hide our junk, and character. And last week, lo and behold, there it was:

The size is perfect and the shape is definitely something unique to break up all the somber dark brown squares that make up most of the living room furniture.

My problem is the color. You may remember that my first loves looked like this:


Cream and gold are just not doing it for me--it really doesn't work with the grays, reds, blues, and browns we have in the living room. And while I have refinished some furniture before, I'm not sure I have the time or inclination to tackle this rather massive project (massive thanks to all those beautiful French provincial scrolls). So for the first time ever, I'm debating hiring someone else to do it. It would about double the price (but we did get the piece for a steal) but my do-it-youself nature is really conflicted. Thoughts?

D got busy with Photoshop and here is a mock-up of what we are thinking we want:
We like how glossy it is and we like that the trim is a different color from the main color (it's gold now, so we're thinking silver, but there's no reason it needs to be metallic). So anyway, let us know your thoughts on color and on whether we should splurge and get someone else to do the dirty work for us.

1 comment:

TMH said...

I like the color scheme. Either silver or white would make good trim colors. I don't know how difficult it would be to do it on your own, or I would venture an opinion on that topic.