Please share your opinions and expertise since we need all the help we can get!

Friday, February 25, 2011

Quick Question on Contractors

A quick post while I get a few more in-depth ones put together (energy audits, dryer clean-ups, and new coffee tables, oh my!). As I type this, I have a furnace guy here to check some high CO levels that showed up during our energy audit. And my question is: what do you do when you have a contractor over? I'm never sure of the etiquette. Do I leave them alone completely? Do I hover? Do I leave them alone and check back in every 10 minutes, 20 minutes, hour, etc? Should I show an interest in what they're doing? Should I make small talk? Should I offer them something to drink? (My instinct on this one is no, unless it is for seriously lengthy work--I don't think this guy in particular will be here for more than a half hour.)

Please leave your comments--I'm interested to see what other people do. Obviously in most cases, it depends on the type of work being done and how long the contractor(s) are in the home, but please let me know your thoughts. Oh, and get excited for the next few posts on all sorts of interesting topics!

5 comments:

ten said...

I remember worrying about this myself. I really appreciate the contractors who tell me up front where they're going to go and why. Then I can chose a centrally located spot to be handy if they have questions.
Generally, I show them where to go and leave them alone, staying within earshot - unless it's the room with the computers, then I stick like a leech!

Anonymous said...

I generally ask if it's OK if I watch. Then I can learn all about what they're up to, which is fun.
~Jonathan

Alison said...

I'm with ten - stay available but keep out of their faces and let them concentrate on their work.

Mom said...

If it's something that I might be able to do myself some other time, then I stick around. Ask a few questions, giving them the excuse that you don't have a clue about such and such, but you are curious of the workings. This information might be useful in the future. But don't make it a social event.
If its something that you will never attempt, then I do what ten said. Be around and available.
As far as refreshments, it depends on how long they are there. Example, someone working in an area that is extreme hot, offer water or a cold drink if it seems like they are going to need it.
Coffee and cake, NO, most of these places charge by the hour. And believe me, they don't deduct social time.

Masha said...

I usually stay out of their way but offer a soda and water...