Please share your opinions and expertise since we need all the help we can get!

Monday, July 26, 2010

Wild winds wield wicked wallop

We have had (like much of the East Coast) a long spell of hot weather - more than 10 straight days of over 90 degree days. Along with the typical high humidity, it has been very unpleasant summer.

On Sunday, we finally got a break. While watching TV in the early afternoon we noticed it got very dark. Then some extremely violent winds swept through in a few minutes. Branches from our big old trees immediately decided that being on the ground was a good idea. The high winds and loud crashing noises led me to suggest that we mosey down to the basement. RIGHT NOW.

We sat down their for about 15 minutes until the winds died down, hoping our heavy and expensive slate roof tiles would stay intact. After waiting another 30 minutes to make sure the winds did not pick up again, I headed out to check our roof, cars, and yard. When I stepped outside I first was surprised by how cool it was outside. I estimate it dropped from around 100 degrees to 80 degrees in less an hour.

Our roof and cars appear to have escaped the attention large branches. After about an hour of collecting work I had this:



Three branches whose diameter was thicker than my thigh ended up on terra firma. Just small enough so I could corral them to the curb. I was thankful nothing larger came down. I managed to compress it into a smaller bunch on the curb:



Two trash cans are also in the picture. They are just engulfed by the branches. 

The next day (today), when I came home the curb was empty. Our town does have high taxes, but at least we get great service!

No comments: