Please share your opinions and expertise since we need all the help we can get!

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Fun in the Bedroom

Now, now, this is still a family-friend blog. Get your minds out of the gutter! I wanted to show you two things we've done to the bedroom this weekend.

First, we finally installed our wall vinyl! I have to admit that it was much harder than I thought and it wasn't until we were at least a half hour into the application when I had a "duh" moment and realized that I totally could have painted a branch and some birds onto the wall with no problem. But the vinyl is removable, if we decide we want to redecorate our room again soon, so that's nicer than paint, I guess. The problem was that the vinyl didn't really stick to the wall as we were pulling it from it's clear layer, even though we had washed the wall and let it dry. So we had to use a combination of a pocket knife and a flex blade made for spackling. There are no pictures because we were too busy holding up and cutting through huge swathes of plastic. I think the end product looks nice. We also scattered a few more bird vinyls around the bedroom.
Our second addition is this beautiful vanity that we found at a flea market on July 4. The colors look made for our room. I realized after we bought it, however, that it might not be practical, since I usually put my make-up on (when I put make-up on at all) standing up and in five minutes. I also have my make-up very organized and laid out so that I can see everything. That won't be possible with this piece, since the drawers are narrow and deep.
I'm now on a quest for drawer organizers to fit, since my old ones are too wide. The internal drawer dimensions are 7.75x13.25. I know this because I spent about an hour thoroughly scrubbing the gunky bottoms and laying down a layer of contact paper.
I think it's a big improvement to see pretty green flowers instead of ink, dried nail polish, and something that endlessly bled orange.

I will have to replace the chair at some point, too. It fits perfectly, but the wire feet are too strangely shaped to cover so we can adequately protect the floor. Right now we have them in little felt-bottomed bowls (made for that purpose), but they are slightly too big and they fall out easily when I try to push the chair in and out.

No comments: