Please share your opinions and expertise since we need all the help we can get!

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Initial Thoughts on Windows

In the last two weeks, we've had four in-home estimates and one online estimate. I think we've almost made a decision, but I can blog about that later. For now, for the benefit of anyone else reading this that might buy windows (which is a small crowd, since--as I hope--most of these readers are far more knowledgeable and experienced homeowners than me), here are my thoughts on the estimate process.

1. Subscribe to Angie's List. Or at least pretend to.
Most of the companies ask where you heard of them. If you say anything but Angie's List, you'll get a pretty neutral response. But mention Angie's List and suddenly they sound impressed and excited. I'm convinced that your ability to rate them for others to see actually means something to them. So don't subscribe for the reviews (they have not been particular helpful) but just for the power to review. Or just tell them you have Angie's List, because they'll never know.

2. Ask for print versions of the warranties for both the contracting company and the manufacturer.
I have been amazed at how much we have been lied to on our warranty coverage. The problem is that EVERYONE is lying, so you can't eliminate a company just for that. "How much does it cost to replace a broken window?" "Free." "What about labor?" "Free." Except they don't tell you that after a year or two, either or both of the supplies and labor will probably be pro-rated until eventually you're paying full price. I don't mind taking responsibility for my windows, but I mind that these people are not telling me the truth. (Finally by the end we asked very pointed questions so that there was no way out, and then we got honest answers: "Do you pro-rate your labor costs?" "Well...we follow the industry standard of pro-rating after 2 years..." Gotcha!)

3. Most people will bring a sample window but some don't. If you're a visual or tactile person, ask for one to be sure.
First, I thought it was weird, but then when one guy didn't bring the window sample I found myself immediately not wanting to hire his company. They all look pretty much the same, but somehow having something to touch can really help. I bet asking for them when you make the appointment would guarantee that everyone brings a model.

4. Learn your figures.
The minimum energy efficiency on the window to qualify for the tax credit is strict and could change. There are u-factors and solar heat gain coefficients and air transfers. Everyone will tell you about them whether you want to hear about it or not ("I know, I know, the last 3 guys before you all told me about them!") but you should probably read about it from a neutral source before you start.

5. If you're like us and only do minimal research beforehand, you will not get enough information from the first person to give you an estimate.
We ended up getting much better at asking questions with each visit so that now I realize that I did not get even half the necessary information from the first guy.  In fact, our first salesman (probably sensing I didn't know much) tried to sell me on things like virgin (non-recycled) vinyl (which apparently is an industry standard, not a special feature), metal locks (again, all of them come with that), and not using day laborers for the installation (no one has admitted to using them; they all claim to use in-house reputable staff). We could probably call back for more info on the things we now realize are important (like the warranty, see point 2), but that company isn't making our final cut either way.

6. Get the REAL price.
Make sure that the final estimate includes everything and not just the standard price/window. Some companies include capping (putting aluminum or some other substance on the remaining exterior wood to protect it), material disposal, and grids but in the price/window but others apparently don't. Make sure there are no hidden costs. We had to ask specifically "does the price include X?" to be certain.

There are probably more but I wanted to jot these down while I was thinking about them. I'm sure I'll have plenty more to say when we decide on a company and start the actual replacement.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Angie's List for the power of the people.
Go get them D & J.
Mom