Please share your opinions and expertise since we need all the help we can get!

Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Painting (in pictures)

Almost a week without Internet was very painful. Verizon had to come and clean or replace a lot of lines leading up to our house. Fortunately, there was no problem with the wiring inside our house, so we were spared that expense. Since moving in and unable to update to my blog, I have tormented friends and coworkers with stories of bugs, electrical problems, and fridge issues. But since it's late and I do not want to think of those problems at the moment, I will show you lots of photos of last week's painting.

First, the office, transformed from a rather bleh yellow into Sherwin William's "Leisure Blue." Lesson learned: We didn't bother to prime since we were putting a dark color over a light color. We just washed down the walls and started painting. Big mistake! We had a lot of trouble covering up the yellow, because (I think, anyway) we were painting matte over what seemed like satin. The paint just wouldn't stick. We got it eventually, thanks to D's persistent rolling, but I think priming would have helped.



Here's pretty much the same view (at night, with a flash, but I think you can get the idea):



Now, the living room, in Sherwin William's "Knitting Needles" with a satin finish. It covered up the (matte) yellow very well, supporting my hypothesis that the shininess of the finish matters.


This is a completely different view and a photo taken more to showcase our book addiction than the color,  but I like it:

 

Last but not least, two pictures to show that the cats were pretty cool with the move, all things considered. They loved the chaotic mess of boxes and furniture and, after enduring a painful car ride with me, have been enjoying the new house with its bay window and basement full of bugs.


 



No comments: